Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Chicken ginger stew. This is chicken in a clear soup. Very satisfying. The dominant flavour (besides the chicken) should be the ginger, then the patis (fish sauce) and then the chile tops adds a piquant flavour as a finish.
- 1 kilo chicken - cut into serving pieces
- 1½ Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic - minced
- 1 medium onion - sliced
- 1 square inch ginger - julienned
- 2 Tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- 5 cups rice water  or plain water
- 1 chayote (sayote) or unripe papaya
- a bunch of chilli tops (talbos ng sili)
- Peel chayote or unripe papaya with a potato peeler and cut in half along the groove in the middle. Take out the white pith and seed in the middle using a spoon. Cut each half lengthwise and cut again crosswise (or diagonally) in about ¾ inch intervals. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot. Sauté garlic and onion until onion is translucent.
- Add in ginger and cook for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the patis and chicken. Mix well. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes letting the chicken absorb the patis. Stir occasionally.
- Pour in rice water and bring to boil. Bring down heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- [optional] Skim off excess oil floating on top.
- Add chayote, bring up to boil again and cook for 5 minutes or until chayote is done.
- Put in chilli tops and cook for about 2 minutes. Serve while hot.