Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Toheroas are considered New Zealand's greatest delicacy. Their flavor is quite unique. This shellfish is like a very large cockle. It burrows into the sand and is only to be found on certain beaches and the season in which it can be gathered is strictly limited as is the catch which can be taken on any one day. When the toheroa gathering season is on, New Zealanders in their thousands flock to these beaches to dig by hand or wooden implement (metal ones are not permitted) for these succulent molluscs. Since a visit to New Zealand is necessary adjunct to getting fresh toheroas here is a recipe which uses the tinned variety for those who cannot visit "the land of the long white cloud". 4 servings
- Boil the heads in water for 15-20 minutes with salt and pepper added to taste.
- Strain and add minced toheroas from can to the stock and a little grated Onion.
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes and add milk.
- Thicken with a little flour and water paste.
- Whip the cream and add just before serving.