Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
- Yield: Makes 4 tostadas (4 servings)
- ½ pound lean ground turkey
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup salsa or picante sauce
- ¼ cup homemade chicken broth or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, or ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 x 6-inch diameter flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat cheddar or reduced-fat Monterey jack / colby blend cheese
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 1 chopped fresh jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Sauté the turkey, onion, and garlic in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Drain and return to the skillet.
- Add the salsa, broth, chili powder, and cumin.
- Simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the turkey mixture simmers, broil the tortillas about 4 to 5 inches from the heat source until crisp and golden brown, turning occasionally.
- Stir the cilantro into the turkey mixture.
- Top each tortilla with ¼ cup turkey mixture, 1 tablespoon cheese, 2 tablespoons lettuce, and 1 tablespoon chopped tomato.
- Sprinkle with jalapeno pepper, if desired.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (1 tostada):
- Calories: 177 | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 231mg | Carbohydrate: 17g | Dietary Fiber: 2g | Sugars: 3g | Protein: 17g
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch | 2 very lean meat | ½ fat