Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sweet and sour fish.
- 3 Chinese mushrooms, salted
- 1 large, whole, fresh coral trout
- 500 ml sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons extra oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 100 g lean pork, finely diced
- ½ carrot, cut into match sticks
- 80 ml soy sauce
- 80 ml Chinese vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 500 ml water
- 1 dessertspoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced into 1 cm lengths
- Soak the mushrooms in water to soften, then remove and slice.
- Dry the with absorbent paper, patting until it is quite dry.
- Make two deep slashes in the flesh on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan until it is very hot.
- Deep fry the until golden and crisp on the outside (but not cooked through at this stage), for approximately 3 minutes, then remove.
- Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- Heat additional oil until very hot in separate frying pan or wok and stir fry the onion, carrot, pork and mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Then add soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and water.
- Boil the water, then add the and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Cover the pan so that the sauce doesn't evaporate.
- Remove when cooked – the flesh should be firm but cooked.
- Mix cornflour with a little water and stir through sauce.
- Add the sesame oil to give a 'shine' or glaze to the sauce.
- Stir through.
- Spoon sauce over the and garnish with the spring onions.