This is a simple, healthy, and unusually spiced soup. It is really satisfying.
- 1½ cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1½ cups onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 cups undrained canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Bring the lentils and water to a boil, then reduce the hear, cover and simmer until tender; about 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat oil and saute the onions, garlic and chili for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, coriander and cumin and saute for another minute, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Remove from the heat and set aside When lentils are tender, coarsely chop the tomatoes right in the can and stir them into the soup pot.
- Add the chopped cilantro, salt, and sauteed vegetables.
- Cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until all of the vegetables are tender.