Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 medium apples, peeled (optional) and chopped
- 1 x 10-ounce package frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Dredge pork in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in Dutch oven or large pot.
- Add meat and brown on all sides. Pour off fat.
- Stir in onion and rice. Cook over low heat until onion is transparent and rice is golden.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir once or twice.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add apples and peas. Cover and simmer 5 minutes more or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with chives.