Contributed by Healthy Recipes For diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: Cooking Light 1997
- Yield: 12 Servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8-oz) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 12 taco shells
- ¾ cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- ¾ cup diced tomato
- ½ cup (2 oz) finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup salsa
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion and next 6 ingredients (onion through garlic), and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, beans, and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until thick.
- Prepare taco shells according to package directions.
- Spoon ¼ cup bean mixture into each taco shell.
- Top each with lettuce, 1 tablespoon tomato, 2 teaspoons cheese, and 2 teaspoons salsa.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (serving size: 1 taco):
- 140 Calories (34% from fat) | 5.3 g Fat | 1.2 g Sat | 0.8 g Mono | 1.4 g Poly | 5.3 g Protein | 3 mg Cholesterol | 82 mg Calcium | 185 mg Sodium | 8.7 g Carbs | 2.8 g Fiber