Use for making pizzas, or for freezing. This recipe makes approximately 2 cups of product.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1½ medium (14 oz) cans peeled tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ bay leaf
- 2 tsp chopped basil
- Heat the oil in a broad pan.
- Peel and chop the onion and cook it slowly until softened.
- Do not let the onion color more than a pale yellow.
- Peel and crush the garlic and add it towards the end.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes with their juice and the tomato puree (paste).
- Chop roughly in the pan with the edge of a palette knife.
- Add the salt and pepper, sugar, and bay leaf.
- Simmer slowly for 1 hour with the lid off, until reduced to a thick sauce, stirring now and then.
- Add the chopped basil for the last few minutes only.