Makes 8 servings
- 1½ cups uncooked rice
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups boiling chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 avocados, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon seedless raisins
- Combine rice, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme, pepper, broth and 1½ tablespoons butter in shallow 2-quart casserole.
- Cover with tight-fitting lid or heavy-duty foil. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cook mushrooms, carrots, green pepper and onion in remaining 1½ tablespoons butter and salt in small skillet until tender crisp.
- Remove rice from oven; stir in vegetable mixture, avocados, apple, and raisins.
- Serve with baked Cornish hens or other poultry.