- 1 cup onions, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot bulb, minced
- 3 large scallions, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 oz olive or other salad oil
- 2 quart ,water
- 1 lb kidney, pink or pinto beans, washed, sorted and soaked
- 1 large bay leaf, crushed
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 tsp mild or hot curry
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- chili powder to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped, or
- 1 can (15 oz) peeled tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute onions, garlic, shallot, scallions, and green pepper in oil.
- Add water, beans, and seasonings.
- Simmer for 1½ hours.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 1 hour more or until fork-tender.
- For spicier chili, use 2 or more cloves of garlic.