Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Wiki.com/Thanksgiving_day_tofu Thanksgiving Day Tofu from Recipes Wiki—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
This is a superb substitute for the traditional Thanksgiving turkey. It's also good for other times of the year! It's really the dressing that carries this dish. The corn oil gives it that wonderful buttery taste that poultry dressing usually has.
- Cook Time: Approximately 90 minutes total
- 1½ lbs tofu
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 3 tbsp Vogue VegeBase
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1½ tsp agar flakes or 1 tsp agar powder
- 2 tbsp barley malt syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ cup finely diced onions
- ½ cup finely diced celery
- ½ cup finely diced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp unrefined corn oil
- ½ tsp ground sage
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 3 tbsp Vogue VegeBase
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup cubed dry whole wheat bread
- Wash the tofu, pat it dry, and cut it into small pieces.
- Put the tofu, arrowroot, soup base, salt, pepper, and agar flakes in a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- Oil and flour the loaf pan (or line it with baking liner paper after oiling).
- Spread a layer of tofu paste inside the pan, lining the bottom and all four sides. Use all but about 1 cup of the paste.
- Firmly but gently press the dressing into the pan, on top of the tofu paste "liner".
- Try to avoid displacing the tofu.
- Cover the dressing with the remaining tofu, carefully sealing the edges.
- Cover the pan with foil, making certain the foil doesn"t come in contact with the tofu.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 °F for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Then remove the foil cover, glaze the top of the loaf with the dissolved barley malt syrup, turn the oven up to 450 °F, Continue baking for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow the loaf to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Unmold, slice, and serve hot with a sauce of your choice.
- Sauté onions, celery, carrots, and garlic in oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the sage, basil, soup base, salt and pepper, and continue cooking 5 minutes longer.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the bread crumbs and cook for a few minutes.
- Lastly, remove from heat.