Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Thanhat (Burmese cucumber salad) can last for about a week when kept in a fridge. It’s a great side dish as well as a “snack” for vegetarians.
- 3 pieces large cucumber
- 60 ml white vinegar
- 60 ml sesame oil
- 3 pieces large onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1½ tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and vinegar to taste
- Peel cucumbers and cut into half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds then cut 2 inches in length.
- Put cucumbers in a saucepan.
- Add vinegar.
- Add water until it covers the cucumbers.
- Add a pinch of salt then cover the pan and let it simmer until the cucumbers are slightly tender.
- Drain the cucumbers and set aside.
- In a pan, toast the sesame seeds until they pop then set aside.
- In a wok, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil and fry onions and garlic.
- Set aside when they turn dark brown.
- Add the rest of the oil, turmeric, sugar and some vinegar for dressing.
- Stir the mixture over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Let the dressing cool.
- Arrange cucumbers in a bowl.
- Pour salad dressing.
- Garnish with onions, garlic and sesame seeds.