Thanhat (Burmese cucumber salad) can last for about a week when kept in a fridge. It’s a great side dish as well as a “snack” for vegetarians.
- 3 pieces large cucumber
- 60 ml white vinegar
- 60 ml sesame oil
- 3 pieces large onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1½ tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and vinegar to taste
- Peel cucumbers and cut into half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds then cut 2 inches in length.
- Put cucumbers in a saucepan.
- Add vinegar.
- Add water until it covers the cucumbers.
- Add a pinch of salt then cover the pan and let it simmer until the cucumbers are slightly tender.
- Drain the cucumbers and set aside.
- In a pan, toast the sesame seeds until they pop then set aside.
- In a wok, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil and fry onions and garlic.
- Set aside when they turn dark brown.
- Add the rest of the oil, turmeric, sugar and some vinegar for dressing.
- Stir the mixture over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Let the dressing cool.
- Arrange cucumbers in a bowl.
- Pour salad dressing.
- Garnish with onions, garlic and sesame seeds.