- cooked beef (hot or cold) 2 thick steaks (sirloin or rib-eye is best) cooked until rare or some rare roasted topside/silverside
- mint leaves – a large handful, roughly chopped
- coriander – a small bunch, roughly chopped
- chillies – add as many as you like (the hotter the better!) chop finely
- 3 or 4 [spring onions]], sliced quite finely on the diagonal
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced very finely
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- a sprinkling of sugar (to taste)
- Cut the cooked beef into thin strips or chunks (as you prefer).
- Mix together lime juice and fish sauce with some pepper and sugar.
- Combine all the herbs, garlic, spring onions, chillies and beef in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour over the dressing and mix again.
- Serve with sticky rice and fresh vegetables: cucumber, green beans and cabbage or Chinese leaf.