- 14 oz. firm tofu, drained
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, or more to taste
- 3 Tbs. thinly sliced garlic (about 5 large cloves)
- 4 4-inch-long pieces lemongrass
- 1 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed and spears peeled and blanched
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp. red Thai chile paste, or more to taste
- 12 oz. Mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce, or more to taste
- 2 to 4 tsp. finely chopped cilantro, or more to taste, for garnish
1. Slice tofu into pieces 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch x 2 inches. Place on triple layers of paper towels, top with another triple layer of paper towels and press out excess moisture.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook for about 5 minutes, turning over once or twice, until golden brown. Using a slotted spatula, remove pieces to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Set aside.
4. Cut asparagus spears into 11/2-inch lengths. Add scallions, asparagus and sugar snap peas to skillet, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add Sugar, salt and chile paste, and stir. Add Mushrooms and soy sauce, bring to a boil, cover and cook for 2 minutes, or until Mushrooms are tender and have released their juices. Serve hot over rice, and garnish with cilantro.