- 4 1-inch-thick slices sourdough bread
- 3 cups vegetarian-style baked beans
- 4 Tbs. vegetable oil for frying
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 lb. firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into large cubes
- 4 Tbs. soy “Bacon” bits
- 8 oz. shredded soy cheese, preferably mixture of Cheddar and Monterey jack
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Arrange thick slices of bread in a large baking dish, and set them aside.
2. Place beans in a large saucepan, and heat them over medium heat, warming them through completely. When they are hot,
remove them from heat, and set them aside.
until golden, for about 5 minutes. Remove Onion from heat, and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, combine cumin, chili powder, Onion powder and cornstarch in a large bowl, mixing to combine well. Place cubed tofu in a bowl, and dust each side with mixture. Add remaining oil to skillet, and heat over medium heat. Sauté tofu cubes on all sides until crispy, for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove them from heat, and place them in a bowl with Onion.