Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 6 to 8 Servings.
- Source: Marlboro Country Cookbook
- 1 lb. dried anasazi or pinto beans
- 1 cup chopped slab bacon
- 2 cups each, rough cut onions and bell peppers
- 2 jalapeno chili peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped beef jerky (homemade or store bought), or smoked beef
- 1 cup catsup
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup each molasses and honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Soak beans overnight in 6 cups cold water.
- Drain and put into a large cooking pot.
- Add water to cover beans, about 6 cups.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- In a large kettle, cook bacon until crisp.
- Add onion and peppers; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, 2 cups bean cooking liquid, tomatoes, beef jerky, catsup, molasses, honey, Worcestershire and dry mustard.
- Stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook at a slow boil 1 to 1½ hours.
- Stir in apple sauce and ginger.
- Pour into a large bean pot and bake in a 350 °F oven, uncovered, for 1½ hours.