- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- beaten egg white
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 x 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 x 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 x 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 x 4 oz can diced green chili pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and ¼ tsp salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine egg white, milk, and oil; set aside.
- In a 10" skillet combine the water, onion, and garlic.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes or till tender.
- Stir in garbanzo beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, drained green chile peppers, chili powder, and ¼ tsp salt.
- In a small bowl stir together cornstarch and 1 t water.
- Stir into bean mixture.
- Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat.
- For dumplings, add milk mixture to cornmeal mixture; stir just until combined.
- Drop dumpling mixture from a tablespoon to make 5 mounds atop bean mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 10 – 12 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center of a dumpling comes out clean.
Nutritional information Edit
per serving: 313 calories, 13 g protein, 50 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1023 mg sodium, 839 mg potassium.