Recipe courtesy of John "Wizard Baldour" Troy, master chef and menu planner at The Regulator Café in Hillsborough, NC
- Source: Vegetarian Times, 12/90
- ½ lbs snow peas
- 1 large onion
- 8 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 tbsp canola oil (divided)
- ½ cup homemade teriyaki sauce
- ½ lbs tempeh
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked brown basmati rice
- If using dried shiitakes, soak in water to refresh.
- Cut tempeh into thin slices.
- Cut onion in thin slivers.
- Mince garlic.
- Remove strings from snow peas, if necessary.
- Remove stems from shiitakes, and slice mushrooms thinly.
- Heat 2 tb canola oil in saucepan or wok, gradually raising heat to medium.
- Fry tempeh slices in batches, until one side becomes golden; turn and fry other side until golden.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Add 1 tb canola oil and sesame oil to pan; raise heat to medium-hot.
- Add snow peas,mushrooms, onions, and garlic; saute only until onions are translucent, not brown, and snow peas are bright green.
- Then add drained tempeh.
- While stirring and tossing, add the teriyaki sauce; be careful to turn the heat down, as the sauce will sizzle "dramatically" according to the author.
- Season with pepper.
- Serve over brown rice, garnishing with slivered green onions and almonds if desired.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving: 528 calories; 20 g protein, 21 g fat; 62 g carbohydrates, 1285 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol