Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Recipe courtesy of John "Wizard Baldour" Troy, master chef and menu planner at The Regulator Café in Hillsborough, NC
- Source: Vegetarian Times, 12/90
- ½ lbs snow peas
- 1 large onion
- 8 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 tbsp canola oil (divided)
- ½ cup homemade teriyaki sauce
- ½ lbs tempeh
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked brown basmati rice
- If using dried shiitakes, soak in water to refresh.
- Cut tempeh into thin slices.
- Cut onion in thin slivers.
- Mince garlic.
- Remove strings from snow peas, if necessary.
- Remove stems from shiitakes, and slice mushrooms thinly.
- Heat 2 tb canola oil in saucepan or wok, gradually raising heat to medium.
- Fry tempeh slices in batches, until one side becomes golden; turn and fry other side until golden.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Add 1 tb canola oil and sesame oil to pan; raise heat to medium-hot.
- Add snow peas,mushrooms, onions, and garlic; saute only until onions are translucent, not brown, and snow peas are bright green.
- Then add drained tempeh.
- While stirring and tossing, add the teriyaki sauce; be careful to turn the heat down, as the sauce will sizzle "dramatically" according to the author.
- Season with pepper.
- Serve over brown rice, garnishing with slivered green onions and almonds if desired.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving: 528 calories; 20 g protein, 21 g fat; 62 g carbohydrates, 1285 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol