Traditional Welsh Honeycake
- ½ lb all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ lb + 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ lb butter
- ¼ lb sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp milk (more or less as needed)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream the butter with 3 ounces of sugar; add the egg yolks and gradually stir in the ¼ lb of honey.
- Carefully stir in the flour mixture, and then add the milk.
- Lightly grease a pie plate tin, and spread the batter leaving a slight mound in the center.
- Bake at 400° for about thirty minutes; let cake rest for two minutes before turning it onto a wire rack.
- Let the cake cool for ten minutes, and then place it onto a baking tray.
- Brush the top with 1 tbs honey.
- Whisk the egg whites and remaining 1 ounce of sugar to prepare a meringue mixture, and swirl over the top of the cake.
- Bake at 325 °F for about twenty minutes; cool completely before serving.