Fruit & Vegetable Recipes I by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government recipe—original source of recipe
- Serves: 6
- 1 (9") deep dish unbaked pie shell
- 1½ cup fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella or Swiss cheese
- Let pie shell thaw at room temperature while combining other ingredients.
- Wash spinach and remove any coarse stems.
- Melt butter in large skillet; add spinach and cook 5 minutes or until spinach is limp.
- Chop spinach fine.
- Beat eggs; stir in half-and-half, salt, nutmeg, cheese and chopped spinach.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 375°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes our clean.
- Let stand approximately 5 minutes before cutting.
- Can be served warm or cold