- 5 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt, slightly rounded
- 16 ounces self-raising flour
- oil (for deep frying)
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Beat the egg yolks and salt until thick and lemon coloured.
- Add the Sugar and brandy and continue to beat; add the yoghurt; then stir in the sifted flour, working by hand into a dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured board until the dough begins to blister, then roll it out as thinly as possible.
- Cut the dough into ribbons about an inch wide, then divide it into 3 inch long strips.
- Make a down the centre of each strip and carefully pull one end through.
- Fry the pastries in heated oil until they are puffed and just golden, turning them once.
- Drain them on absorbent paper and once they have cooled, dust them with sifted icing sugar.