- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 fresh green chile*, minced or 2 tsp minced chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup green beans, de-stemmed and diced
- 2 cups potatoes, in ¾-inch cubes
- 2 – 3 cups sweet potatoes, carrots, or butternut squash, in ¾-in cubes
- 1 tbsp lemon or lemon juice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and sauté onions, garlic, ½ tsp salt, and chile about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add cumin, water, green beans, potatoes, and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer about 20 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in lime juice and pour into lightly-oiled baking dish.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and soda, remaining ½ tsp salt, corn, bell peppers, and cilantro in one bowl, and whisking the eggs, buttermilk, and remaining 2 tbsp oil together in the other.
- Combine the wet into the dry, folding until just mixed.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of the vegetable mixture in the baking dish, then spread the egg/cornmeal mixture evenly on top.
- Bake 30 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted into the cornmeal topping comes out clean.
- Serve hot.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.