- 5 cups water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup Chinese rice wine or medium-dry sherry
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 (1-inch) cube peeled fresh ginger, smashed
- 1 bunch scallions, white parts smashed with flat side of a large knife and green parts chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 10 fresh cilantro stems plus ½ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 2 (2-inch-long) pieces Asian dried tangerine peel
- 4 whole star anise
- ¼ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 2½ lb meaty beef short ribs
- 1¾ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 oz)
- 10 oz dried Chinese wheat noodles or linguine
- 1 cup fresh mung bean sprouts
- 4 tablespoons Chinese pickled mustard greens
- 1 (4-inch-long) fresh red chile (optional), thinly sliced
- Boil soy sauce , rice wine, ginger, scallions, garlic , cilantro , tangerine , red pepper flakes in water.
- Simmer for approx 10 - 12 minutes.
- Sdd the short ribs and cook for another 2½ hours.
- Cut meat in ½ inch slices.
- Add chicken broth and allow soup to simmer.
- Cook noodles in boiling water for 7 - 10 minutes.
- Drain and add to soup.