Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Roast stuffed shoulder of veal
- Serving will be enough for 7-8 people.
- ½ lb ground lean veal
- ½ lb ground lean pork
- ½ lb ground lean beef
- ½ cup white bread crumbs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup onion minced
- 2 cup chicken stock
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 each eggs
- 5 lb boned shoulder of veal
- 4 each hard-boiled eggs peeled
- Combine ground meats in a large mixing bowl.
- Add bread crumbs, onions, water, eggs, 1 tbsp salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
- Mix with your hands or with a large spoon until all ingredients are very well combined (you must vigorously knead this mixture for 3-5 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread the veal skin-side down flat on some board or shelf using sharp knife; make small cuts in the thickest areas of the meat to make it even flatter.
- Cover the veal with meat mallet, press it so as to fairly uniform thickness its thickness.
- Remove cover then sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Spread ½ the stuffing on the veal, leaving a 2" border of veal exposed all around the sides.
- Lay hard-boiled eggs in a row down the length of stuffing and spread remaining stuffing in a layer over them.
- Bring one long side of the veal over the filling to the middle and tuck-in the two ends.
- Bring the other side over the filling to enclose it very well.
- With kitchen cord, tie rolled veal crosswise at 2" intervals, then with more cord tie it lengthwise.
- Place the rolled veal seam-side down in a shallow roasting pan large enough to hold it.
- Pour in 1 and ½ cup chicken stock and roast for 2 hours basting veal from time-to-time with the juices in pan.
- When meat is golden brown carefully transfer it to a serving platter then remove and discard cords.
- Bring juices remaining in pan to a boil over high-heat.
- If most of liquid has cooked away add remaining ½ cup chicken broth to pan.
- Scrape into it any bits that may be sticking to bottom and sides of pan.
- Remove from heat then stir.
- Mix ½ cup sour cream into sauce by adding 1 tbsp at a time.
- Taste for seasoning and pour into a gravy-boat.
- Slice veal roll crosswise into 1" rounds and arrange slightly overlapping down center of a large preheated platter.
- Moisten them with a few tbsp of sauce and serve remaining sauce separately.
- Usually rolled shoulder of veal is served with crisp fried potato patties.