- In a very large deep skillet or a dutch oven, over medium-high heat, heat the margarine or oil (or use a mixture); then saute the onion until it is tender but not browned.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and lightly brown it on all sides.
- Mix the water with the cinnamon, ginger, pepper, and salt and pour it over the browned chicken.
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Cover the skillet tightly, lower the heat, and simmer the chicken for 30 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally.
- Add the prunes and honey (if used) to the skillet, evenly distributing the prunes around the chicken, and making sure they are covered with liquid.
- Cover the skillet again, and simmer the chicken and prunes together for about 20 minutes, or until both are very tender.
- If the sauce becomes too dry and begins to stick to the bottom of the skillet, stir in additional water as needed.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a large serving platter.
- Stir about half the almonds into the prune sauce remaining in the pot; then spoon the sauce mixture over the chicken.
- Garnish the top with the remaining almonds.
- Note: to toast the almonds, spread them in a jelly roll or similar pan and heat then in a 350°F oven, stirring them occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.