- 4 slices Bacon or pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions, white and light green parts, chopped, 3 shallots, chopped or 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, very thinly sliced
- 5 red potatoes, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 cup white wine fish stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams, with juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup bechamel sauce
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- Place a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat. When hot, add the Bacon and fry for 6 to 8 minutes, until crisp.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain. Drain off and discard half of the fat in the pot.
- Return the Bacon to the pot over medium heat and add the onions, leek, potatoes, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Saute in the reserved bacon fat for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened and tender.
- Add the water, stock, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce and stir well. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the clams and their juice, stir well, and then add the cream. Stir in the cornstarch and the bechamel sauce and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the sherry. Transfer to warmed soup bowls and serve at once.