Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook. Although I am exercising "portion control" by listing the original recommended servings, I have to confess that the four of us finished the entire recipe last time. I am being generous on prep/cook time. If you are somewhat skilled, it should take you less time than that. 6-30-04 Recipe ingredients updated to include Onion.
- ¾ cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1 lb ground beef
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 (15 ounces) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (10 cups)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- ⅔ cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (1½ cups)
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sour cream (approximately)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (½ cup)
- Prepare Thousand Island dressing if you are making it from scratch.
- Cook beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain.
- Stir in water, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, red pepper, and [[[kidney bean|beans]].
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Mix lettuce, cheese, , tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl.
- Toss with Thousand Island dressing.
- Add beef mixture and toss.
- Divide on serving plates.
- Garnish with avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve immediately.
- Cover and refrigerate any remaining salad.