This is from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook. Although I am exercising "portion control" by listing the original recommended servings, I have to confess that the four of us finished the entire recipe last time. I am being generous on prep/cook time. If you are somewhat skilled, it should take you less time than that. 6-30-04 Recipe ingredients updated to include Onion.
- ¾ cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1 lb ground beef
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 (15 ounces) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (10 cups)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- ⅔ cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (1½ cups)
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sour cream (approximately)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (½ cup)
- Prepare Thousand Island dressing if you are making it from scratch.
- Cook beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain.
- Stir in water, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, red pepper, and [[[kidney bean|beans]].
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Mix lettuce, cheese, , tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl.
- Toss with Thousand Island dressing.
- Add beef mixture and toss.
- Divide on serving plates.
- Garnish with avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve immediately.
- Cover and refrigerate any remaining salad.