Bulgur is a grain that has a nutty flavor. It becomes soft as it absorbs the liquid from the salad.
- Fruits and Veggies Matter Child Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, public domain government resource, original source of recipe
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 cups fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 scallions
- 3 lemons
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
- Put the bulgur in a medium bowl with 1 cup of hot water. The bulgur will absorb the water.
- Wash the parsley in a colander under running water. Roll the herbs in paper towels to dry.
- Wash the scallions and pat dry. On a cutting board, cut off the roots and slice the white portion into ¼ –inch slices. Finely chop the slices and discard the green tops.
- Roll the lemons on a flat surface to loosen the membranes.
- Cut the lemons in half. Squeeze each lemon half over a measuring cup until you have ½ cup of juice. Remove seeds.
- Peel the papery skin off the garlic clove. Slice the garlic with a paring knife and mince.
- Combine the scallions, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk together. Fold the lemon juice mixture into the bulgur with a spoon. Add the tomatoes and continue stirring until well combined.