- Ripe, but firm tomatoes (Heirloom if you can get them)
- salt and pepper
- Thinly sliced, buttered white or brown bread
- Put the tomatoes, stalks removed, into a basin, cover with boiling water, let stand for I minute then slide off the skins.
- Pat dry with kitchen paper, then cut the tomatoes into thin slices, and arrange on slices of buttered bread.
- Trim off the crusts and cut into triangles.
- Pile neatly onto a sewing plate and cover with a slightly dampened tea-cloth until ready to serve.
- You cam also put one thicker slice on the buttered bread, salt and pepper, add the top slice, and cut with a round cookie cutter big enough for the tomato slice.