- 2½ dozen free stone Italian plums, washed, split, pit removed
- 4 or 5 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 cups of flour (unsifted)
- 1 tsp salt
- buttered bread crumbs
- Peel potatoes and cook in salted water till soft.
- Drain and peel.
- Mash potatoes and add warm to sifted flour and salt on a kneading surface.
- Make a well and add egg and knead gently till all is blended.
- On a clean floured surface, roll dough out to ½ inch thick.
- Cut dough into 4 inch squares and put a plum into center of each square.
- Place ½ tsp sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon in the hole of the plum.
- Fold corners to the middle and roll the dumpling in your hands till round.
- Cook a few dumplings at a time in salted water for about 10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Place in a pan in which bread crumbs have been toasted in butter (one cup crumbs to ¼ cup butter) and mixed with ½ cup of sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.
- Keep warm.
- When all the dumplings have been cooked and are in the pan, gently spoon the bread crumbs, butter, sugar and cinnamon mix over all.