- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line baking pan with foil.
- Place muffin halves in baking pan.
- Toast for 2 to 3 minutes, or until crisp.
- Place equal portions of sauerkraut on top of muffin halves, and put pan in broiler.
- Cook until sauerkraut is heated through.
- Remove from oven, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine in top half of double boiler over boiling water and medium heat.
- Stir together beer, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper, and add to margarine.
- Toss cheese cubes with cornstarch.
- As beer heats, add cubes a few at a time, and stir often until cheese melts.
- Remove ¼ cup hot mixture, and beat into egg to temper it.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Stir egg immediately into melted cheese, and whisk to combine.
- Spoon equal portions of hot cheese over muffin halves, sprinkle with “bacon” bits and paprika and serve.