Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Many chili recipes contain brown or white sugar. In this recipe, more nutritious Barley malt adds a smoky, beerlike sweetness that contrasts deliciously with the spices and green chiles." - Recipe from "Delicious Living" magazine, February 2004.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (4.5 ounces) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can black beans, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Barley malt
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- black pepper, to taste
- cubed avocados, for garnish
- grated Monterey jack Cheese or Cheddar Cheese, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Sauté until Onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, green chilies, and salt, if desired.
- Stir until veggies are evenly coated.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes and beans (with their liquids), and frozen corn.
- Add remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and mix thoroughly.
- Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for at least 30 minutes, or until chili reaches desired consistency.
- Serve hot with desired garnishes.