Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Servings: 2 cups (1 tbsp per serving)
- 2 cups pitted, sweet cherries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch of salt (⅛ tsp)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp kirsch (or 1 tsp cherry flavoring)
- Place cherries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan.
- Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the cherries and set aside.
- Dissolve the 2 t cornstarch in 2 t cold water.
- Bring the syrup to a boil and stir the cornstarch mixture into the boiling juice, stirring as it thickens.
- Add salt, lemon juice, lemon rind, and kirsch.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes.
- Return the cherries to the syrup and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and pour into a sterile jar.
- Syrup may be stored for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories: 45 | Sodium: 22 mg | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Exchanges: ½ fruit