- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4 and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Brush two sheets of pastry liberally with butter and place one on top of the other.
- Sprinkle a quarter of the walnuts over the top of the two sheets of phyllo.
- Repeat with the remaining sheets of phyllo and walnuts then roll lengthways to form a cylinder.
- Transfer to the greased baking tray and baked for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the syrup in a saucepan;.
- Bring to the boil, stirring then continue to cook for about 10 minutes;.
- Or until the mixture is thick and syrupy.
- When the banitza is cooked, remove from the oven and pour the hot syrup over the top.
- Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Serve cut into slices with warm or at room temperature.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.