Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sweet Onion Soup from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, taken from government resource in the public domain
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serves: 8
- low fat cooking spray
- 1½ pounds sweet onion such as walla walla or Vidalia, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1½ teaspoons dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon non-fat sour cream (optional)
- chives, chopped (optional)
- Spray a large saucepan with low fat cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low then stir in sugar.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until onions start to caramelize.
- Stir in the flour and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, wine, sage and bay leaf.
- Heat to boiling then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with 1 tablespoon of nonfat sour cream and a sprinkling of chives.