- 1 (28ounce) jar wine-cured sauerkraut
- 2 diced Apples or 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar or demerara sugar
- 3 1 tablespoon lard or Bacon drippings
1. Drain the sauerkraut only if it is too salty, otherwise use it with its own liquid.
2. Heat the lard in a large saucepan.
3. Take a handful of the sauerkraut and squeeze it dry.
7. Bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
9. The sauerkraut should be pleasantly sweet-sour but not too sweet.