Sweet Eritrean bread
- 250 cc lukewarm milk
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 50 g sugar
- 100 g soaked raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 100 cc margarine or butter
- 500 g flour
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water in a large bowl.
- Mix the egg and the spices.
- Add the flour little by little.
- Knead the mixture for 10 minutes on a floured table.
- Allow the dough to rise, covered by a tea-towel, in a warm place.
- Knead the mixture again and create a round, flat bread (2 centimeters high) from the dough in the frying pan, allow the dough to rise a second time in a warm place, until its volume has doubled.
- Decorate the bread with a knife or nails (see picture below).
- Bake the bread in the covered frying pan for 10 minutes on a medium to low fire.
- Turn over the bread and bake it for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the frying pan and spread it with some water and butter.
- Serve warm or cold in wedges.