Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sweet Eritrean bread
- 250 cc lukewarm milk
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 50 g sugar
- 100 g soaked raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 100 cc margarine or butter
- 500 g flour
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water in a large bowl.
- Mix the egg and the spices.
- Add the flour little by little.
- Knead the mixture for 10 minutes on a floured table.
- Allow the dough to rise, covered by a tea-towel, in a warm place.
- Knead the mixture again and create a round, flat bread (2 centimeters high) from the dough in the frying pan, allow the dough to rise a second time in a warm place, until its volume has doubled.
- Decorate the bread with a knife or nails (see picture below).
- Bake the bread in the covered frying pan for 10 minutes on a medium to low fire.
- Turn over the bread and bake it for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the frying pan and spread it with some water and butter.
- Serve warm or cold in wedges.