Buttered rice, noodles or pasta of any kind go well with this.
- Prepare the meat balls at least an hour before cook.
- Soak the crumbs in the cream for 5 minutes, then put them in a mixing bowl with the marrow and ground meats.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a frying pan and in it cook the chopped Onion, shallots and garlic over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the grated lemon rind, parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Beat the 2 eggs and pour them over the meat.
- Beat this mixture until the ingredients are combined and the meat loses its granular texture.
- Form into small balls.
- Roll it over the meat until you have shaped it into a sphere.
- Place the meat balls on a baking sheet or platter lined with wax paper.
- Roll each lightly in flour just before frying them.
- Cover them with another sheet of waxed paper, and chill for at least an hour.
- Melt the 3 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil over high heat in a large heavy frying pan.
- Drop into the pan enough meat balls to cover the bottom .
- At once slide the pan back and forth over the burner so that they roll around in the hot fat.
- Turn the heat down to moderate, and cook the balls 6–7 minutes longer.
- Transfer the finished meatballs to a casserole .
- If the fat remaining in it is brown, pour off all but 3 tablespoons of it.
- Stir into the pan 2 tablespoons of flour and mix it to a smooth paste with the fat.
- Return the pan to a low heat and cook this roux for a minute of so.
- Then pour in the cup of stock.
- Raise the heat and beat this sauce together until it boils.
- Then turn the heat down to the barest simmer.
- Stir the sour cream into the sauce, about a tablespoons at a time.
- Add the fresh dill, lemon juice, salt to taste and cayenne.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs in the casserole.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.