These small meatballs, faintly flavored with allspice and nutmeg in a creamy sauce, would be good at a cocktail buffet speared with toothpicks. They are equally good served six to a person over noodles for dinner. Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: The Fannie Farmer Cookbook
- Author: Marion Cunningham
- Typed by Susan Godfrey <email@example.com>
- 20 Meatballs
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 2½ cups whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp shortening
- ½ cup beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, sugar, allspice, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Shape into 1½ inch balls.
- Melt the shortening in a skillet and brown the meatballs.
- Transfer to a shallow casserole, pour on the beef broth, cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Add the cream and cook without a cover for 15 minutes more.