Swedish Meatballs by D. Ruth Gilbert from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
These are tender meatballs with gourmet flavor.
- Cook Time: About 1½ to 2 hours
- Serves: 4
- 1 lb. ground round steak
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ⅔ tsp salt
- dash pepper and allspice
- 1 tbsp margarine
- Mix all ingredients except margarine with a fork until well blended.
- Form into balls, brown in margarine in medium-sized skillet.
- Remove meatballs from pan. Make a thickened gravy with the drippings.
- Return meatballs to gravy and simmer, covered, for 1 to 1½ hours. May be frozen raw or cooked.