Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Source: Holiday Cookbook, Wedman
- 2 tbsp yeast
- ½ cup lukewarm water (105°F to 110°F)
- ½ cup milk, scalded
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ cup raisins, dark or golden
- Combine the yeast and the lukewarm water.
- Let stand until dissolved.
- Pour the hot milk over the sugar to dissolve it.
- Add the salt and vegetable oil.
- Stir in the yeast mixture, egg, 3 cups of the flour and the cardamom into the sugar mixture.
- Add the raisins and extra flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly-floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to a lightly-oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and transfer to a lightly-floured surface.
- Divide into thirds.
- Roll each part into a 10-inch-long strand.
- Braid loosely.
- Place on a lightly-oiled baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
One serving = calories: 121 | carbohydrates: 17 | protein: 2 | fat: 5 | sodium: 94 | potassium: 89 | cholesterol: 23
- Exchange value: 1 bread exchange + 1 fat exchange