Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sweet vermicelli, a popular breakfast/brunch item
- 2 cups of dry, uncooked swayweih noodles (½ inch vermicelli pieces)
- 4 tablespoons of margarine or butter
- ½ cup of finely chopped onion
- ⅓ cup desiccated coconut (optional)
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of ground cardamom
- 1 large pinch of saffron powder
- Saute the chopped Onion in 2 Tablespoons of butter until lightly browned.
- Remove the onions from the saute pan and place in a bowl on the side.
- Scramble the eggs in the saute pan by frying them while constantly stirring them (so that the eggs are cooked in small pieces).
- In a separate sauce pan, bring water to boil and add the vermicelli.
- Cook until the vermicelli is just tender.
- You want the vermicelli to be firm (yet cooked).
- You do not want it to be soft and smashed together.
- This thin vermicelli goes from the "just cooked" phase to the "soft and smashed" phase quickly so you will have to be diligent in watching it and removing it from the heat as soon as it is cooked. Drain.
- In the sauce pan put the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter, the cardamom, saffron, Sugar, cooked onions and eggs, and coconut. On top of all this, add the cooked vermicelli.
- Return to the heat (med-low heat) and cook while stirring for one minute.
- Serve warm.