- 4 cups (1 l) milk
- ⅔ cup (155 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lemon zest strip
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cups (1.5 l) water
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup (105 g) white rice
- 3 egg yolks
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- almonds for garnish, optional
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the milk, Sugar, butter, lemon zest and cinnamon stick. Heats until small bubbles appear along the edge of the pan and then remove from the heat.
- Let stand for 30 minutes to develop the flavors.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the salt and rice, reduce the heat to low and cook slowly until the rice kernels have swelled and are tender, 15 – 20 minutes. Drain.
- Place the saucepan holding the milk mixture over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add the rice and simmer uncovered, stirring often, until thickened, 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the lemon zest and cinnamon stick and discard.
- In a bowl, using a fork or whisk, beat the egg yolks until lightly frothy.
- Gradually add about 1 cup (8 fl oz / 250 ml) of the hot pudding to the yolks, beating constantly. Gradually pour the warmed yolks into the remaining pudding, stirring constantly.
- Cook over very, very low heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the pudding into individual dessert bowls or one large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with toasted almonds, if using.
- Serve at room temperature.