Makes 4 dozen cookies.
- Mix well with spoon in a large bowl, ¾ cup shortening, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 ½ cups gold medal flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover dough and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix with fork in small bowl, 1 egg yolk and ¼ teaspoon water.
- Divide mixture among custard cups.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to each cup to make red, green, blue, yellow and orange paint.
- Roll chilled dough ⅛ inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board.
- Cut with cookie cutters or make your own shapes.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Paint the cookies.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until light brown on edges.