- 2 cups of cold water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1½ cups of yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup of mild cheddar or edam cheese
- oil or shortening for frying
- Pour water and salt into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and slowly and cornmeal stirring continuously so as not to create lumps.
- Continue cooking on low heat until the mixture separates easily from both the bottom and sides of the saucepan.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese and blend well.
- Scoop up enough mixture to fill a teaspoon and form a ball with the palm of your hand.
- Place on a clean flat surface and roll balls in small cylinders roughly ½ in diameter.
- Continue this process until you have used all the mixture.
- Place on a flat plate or tray covering layers with wax paper and let cornmeal sticks rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil or shortening to about 375°F in a deep fryer or caldero.
- Fry until golden brown and allow to drain on a paper towel before serving.