- 1 lb brown rice
- 1/3 lb Yellow split beans
- 1 1/2 pt water,
- 1 x Big Onion, in small pieces
- 1 x tomato
- 2 x Spoons of tomato paste
- 1 x hot pepper
- 1 x Vegan bouillon cube, (optional, but it ads to the "Surinamese" taste)
- 1 cup Cubed pumpkin
- 1 cup White cabbage, coarse cut
- salt, (optional)
- black pepper
- Cook the yellow split beans half done. Throw the cook water away.
- Simmer the Onion a few minutes, add the small cut tomatoe and the bouillon cube, simmer about five minutes.
- Add, if neccesary a bit of water.
- Add the half cooked split beans and the tomato paste. Add the water.
- Stir, and simmer another five minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and cook till pumpkin is half done.
- Taste the sauce. Add black pepper. The sauce should taste rather strong.
- Add the drained rice. The sauce level should be a phalanx above the rice. If necessary, add some water. Taste the gravy again! #Stir, let the sauce cook, and put cabbage and hot pepper on top, and put the pot on the lowest possible gas. (The pepper gives a special flavour)
- Simmer for about half an hour. Taste if the rice is nearly done.
- Sprinkle if necessary a bit of HOT water over the rice and cook another five minutes. Take the hot pepper out of the pot and stir the cabbage carefully - with a fork - through the rice. Put the pepper back.
- Simmer for another five minutes. The rice should be dry and tasty.
- Take the pot of the stove, take the lid of the pot and leave the rice five minutes untouched.
- Cut the hot pepper in very small pieces (with a fork and knife, so that you don't burn your hands.)
- Serve with cucumber, onions and tomatoes in vinegar.