Makes 8 servings
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into ½-thick slices
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 x 14½-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 x 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 x 8-ounce bottle clam juice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground saffron
- ¾ pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 x 10-ounce package frozen green peas
- Heat Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until just beginning to brown; remove; set aside.
- Add chicken; cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until beginning to brown; remove; set aside.
- Add onions, pepper, garlic and thyme; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add rice; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, clam juice and saffron; stir to combine.
- Add sausage and chicken back to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and peas. Cover and simmer 10 minutes more until shrimp and peas are cooked and rice is tender and no liquid remains.