Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 6 green bell peppers
- 4 green onions
- ½ white onion
- 2 jalapeno chiles (discard seeds From 1 chile)
- 2 serrano chiles (discard seeds From 1 chile)
- ½ bunch celery
- 1½ Tbsp thyme
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 bay leaves
- 1½ Tbsp basil
- 1½ Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 jar (2.2 oz) Cajun Magic Spice for poultry
- 2 lbs Andouille sausage or Polish sausage, cubed
- 1½ lbs cubed boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup filé powder
- cooked white rice
- 1½ Tbsp white pepper
- 1½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 quarts chicken stock
- Mix flour and oil in roasting pan.
- Bake at 250°F, stirring often, about every ½ Hour, until mixture is the color of dark red clay, about 5 hours or more.
- Remove from oven.
- Dice all vegetables. Put into 12 quart kettle.
- Cook until limp, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in bay leaves, thyme, basil, oregano, white pepper, crushed red pepper, cayenne and half the Cajun Magic Spice mixture. Mix thoroughly over medium heat.
- Stir in half of the roux.
- Gradually stir in chicken stock until well blended.
- Heat to simmer.
- Add more roux if thicker consistency is desired.
- Sauté cubed sausage in non-stick skillet until sausage is browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drained off excess grease and add sausage to simmering gumbo mixture.
- Mix the cubed chicken with the remaining Cajun Magic Spice mixture.
- Sauté in non-stick skillet until chicken is browned, about 5 to 10 Minutes. Drain and add chicken to gumbo.
- Simmer gumbo over medium heat stirring often for 1 hour.
- Just prior to serving heat gumbo to boil. Turn off heat.
- Add filé powder. Stir well.
- Add water if needed to thin to desired consistency.
- Serve hot with a dollop of cooked rice.