Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into ¼-inch slices
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup flour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 5½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound peeled medium shrimp
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook sausage in large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until brown. Remove sausage; set aside. Drain fat.
- Combine oil and flour in 2-cup glass measure.
- Microwave on HIGH 6 to 9 minutes; stirring after 5 minutes with small wire whisk.
- Continue to cook at 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until roux is dark red-brown.
- Pour roux into heavy saucepan; add onions, green peppers, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper, thyme and oregano.
- Cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add broth and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Add reserved sausage; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp; simmer 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Spoon gumbo into serving bowls; top each with ½ cup rice.