This is a recipe I obtained from an Estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Monroe Estate in Stephenville, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 10 slices cubed day old home-style bread with crusts removed
- 6 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 small can mushrooms drained and diced
- 1 small can water chestnuts drained and diced
- 10 slices American cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 eggs well beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 small jar pimentos
- 2 cups plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup cream
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Lay cubed bread on bottom of buttered pan.
- Mix together the chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts and mayonnaise then spread over the bread cubes.
- Mix eggs, salt and milk then spread over the chicken layer.
- Lay cheese slices on top of egg layer.
- Mix soups and spread over cheese layer.
- Arrange pimentos over the top of soup layer.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Uncover and sprinkle with bread crumbs before baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes in 350°F oven.
- Spoon sauce over top.
- To make sauce place all ingredients in sauce pan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.